Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Tools of Vanity

I wanted to call this my Favorite Things....like Oprah, you know, but I was afraid that you might think I was giving things away. I'm not. We are on a budget. BUT if you want to know my favorite tools of my vain self, here they are. Enjoy.




This brush was bought on a whim, because I left my trusty wooden round brush of 8 years home on vacation. I needed something cheap and quick. I had no idea what a great brush I was getting. It has a cool squishy gel handle that is super easy to twirl and grip (even if it does snag a hair) but stays cool. The metal center gets HOT and now my hair dries in 5 minutes or less- as opposed to 10-15 with my old brush. I am in LOVE with this brush, and it was around 5 bucks. (Great stocking stuffer for yourself)

Now my silly secret. Avon's ANEW products ROCK my world. I have used one form or another of this stuff for over 10 years now, and my skin cries when I run out. I have tried others, thinking there MUST be something better out there, but even Clarins and Lancome , or Oil of Olay for bargain shoppers, doesn't do the trick. I break out like a teen.....this feels great, smells great, and goes on sale often enough to let me afford it. If your skin is thirsty, feed it this.

Again, I bought this because it was a deal (even had a coupon), and it is the BEST! My sister gave me a Lancome bag with their Defencils mascara in it (top selling mascara in the world), and I think this is so much better. I wish I could marry this, because a nice thick dark mascara is a necessity in my vain shallow world. Since daily application of false eyelashes is totally out, I need lushy mascara. This stuff does not disappoint.

These shirts have me running to Seagull Book to find the latest color. They are long enough to cover your not-so-high in the back jeans. The sleeve is not so short that people can see deodorant flakes and armpit stubble, or my less than perfect arms giggling around, and the neckline is perfect under dresses and jackets. They look great alone- especially with a chunky necklace (like the one I won from Jillene) or scarf. I have 4 of these, and want more. Is that okay?

Last, but not least.......

This is essential. Bags under eyes and fatigued induced crankiness are not becoming. Again, I have used Unisom, Advil PM, and even Excedrin PM. I hate getting in bed tired but feeling back aches or headaches and not being able to sleep. ONE tablet and you are resting in minutes, and by the time morning rolls around you are really feeling good. The best part is after I wake up and get going I feel completely normal (unlike Unisom, where I am groggy for hours.)

I hope you enjoy my favorite things of the year. I had a few more, but this is so long- I will save them for another day. In another lifetime (if I believed in those) I am sure I was a panel member for Allure or Marie Claire. Thanks to this blog, I can enjoy my own reviews NOW.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man- 2 posts in 2 days. I am so freaking happy!

Kristina P. said...

I have no idea how to roundbrush. I have used a hairpick for years and years. Goes back to when I used to get perms. Yikes!

Erin said...

That mascara bottle is so pretty I want to go buy one right now. But it's a Sunday, so I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jillene said...

I am with Kristina--I don't know how/can't use a round brush. I use my fingers--I know I am strange!!

I love the cami's. I can't live without them!!

LOVE the new look!!

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Oh my gosh I seriously STRUGGLE! Lets try this again.

I am gonna make sure that round brush ends up in my stocking this year. The one I have now hurts me. :) And those shirts are totally cute! I may have to get me a few.

Unknown said...

I just bought those shirts at Seagull book yesterday. I must have missed you. LOVE EM

Brittany Marie said...

Round brushes confuse me. But I LOVE those Seagull Book shirts!

PS: I love your new blog look!

Whitney R said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this list. I'm taking mental notes of the Avon and the mascara, even though I really like the big new orange one from Cover Girl with the rubber application brush thingy. And then I love that shirt! Seagull, you say?

Anonymous said...

I use a round brush all the time. I gotta find this one with the gel handle. And I gotta try this Avon's ANEW. I've done Oil of Olay forever b/c most every thing else just does crazy things to my skin.

Great post! I think I'll want to do a post like this! Thanks!!!♥

Jillybean said...

I have the round brush with the squishy handle too.

Cute shirt!

Just SO said...

When I first saw that picture of the round brush I was thinking that it was some type of "bedroom toy"! *hanging head shamedly*.

Can I claim the fact that it's late and I should be in bed for that lapse of judgment?

I have the orange bottle of mascara that seems very similar to yours and I love mine as well.

And that's good to know about the pain reliever. Most of the pm's knock me out until noon the next day.

Unknown said...

Hey Shana...... You know, depending on your pain tolerance I guess you could take this to the bedroom....?

Anyway, for all the non-round brush users, you just smooth your hair with it as you blow dry, and it straightens it and dries a little faster. If I just dried with my fingers I would look like Julia Roberts bushy head in Pretty Woman. Not cute.

Brooke said...

I want to go get some of those shirts right now!

XO Marie said...

YOUR BACK! YEAH!
marie

Jessica G. said...

What brand are those shirts? Love the sleeves! And I am currently in dire need of more mascara...how waterproof is it? I like to get weepy (pregnancy hormones and all).

Unknown said...

SHirts are by Downeast Basic (yes they have a website) and the Maybeline mascara comes in waterproof- but I'm not using that version, so I can't give a fair review.

Anonymous said...

Read your article, if I just would say: very good, it is somewhat insufficient, but I am

still tempted to say: really good!
Personalized Signature:面对面视频游戏,本地棋牌游戏,本地方言玩游戏,打麻将,玩掼蛋,斗地主,炸金花,玩梭哈