Friday, July 25, 2008

Conversation Starter

For those of you who follow me on Facebook, you see another version of this t-shirt on my back, and you know how much I love it. I decided to throw this on yesterday after the parade and wore it most of the day. I still had it on when taking my kids to the carnival for a couple of rides which I promised them earlier in the week. What I didn't realize is the stir it would cause. A husband signaled his wife from across the crowd and pulled her behind me to read it. Another couple whispered and pointed and talked as I turned around, wathcing so they could read the front. As that was happening another man walked up to me and actually asked me about Dave Ramsey and if I had seen him LIVE (an enthusiatic YES!). Even a group of teens behind me were reading it and laughing, saying "that shirt is cool". I kind of had to pretend like I didn't notice and act normal, but it was a wierd experience.

Are we all so overcome in the "debt is normal" mindset that to see someone saying something different is really that strange? I think we have forgotten how great it feels to own assets over owing on liabalities. Mike and I are currently paying off our 1st and 2nd mortgage, and I wanted to include this quote (which I used in my "Freedom" talk in church on Sunday- a whole different Blog post!) for you guys all to think about this weekend.

Owning a home free of debt is an important goal of provident living. ....a mortgage on a home leaves a family unprotected against severe financial storms. Homes that are free and clear of mortgages and leins can not be foreclosed on. When there are good financial times, it is the most opportune time to retire our debts and pay installments in advance. It is a truth that the "borrower is servant to the lender."
James E Faust

Until next time... I must wash my shirt and wear it more!

No comments: