Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I did it !



Here I am with my friend and fellow massage therapist, Kelly DeSouza, and Helen Russell, my sister's mother-in-law. Kelly ran with me- and kicked my butt, might I add, and kept me motivated. She didn't train at all, but used to be a runner, so her pace was much quicker than mine. Helen has been running for a while, and actually won the race for her age category (ages 55-59 women). She was amazing!

I am saying this publicly- I ran my first 5k in 36:09. I was glad I did it under 40 minutes, but then when I actually saw my time I wished I would have pushed it a little harder. Much to my dismay the first 2 miles or so was mostly uphill, and I felt the difference between that and my air-conditioned room at the gym on the soft treadmill, so I am adding out door running to my schedule. Yikes- I said it, so I guess I am committed. I want to sign up for another 5k in a couple of months and see if I can beat 35:00. It's a small step, but isn't that what got me here in the first place?

5 comments:

Rindee said...

You go girl! I still have never run a 5k, but I will someday. 35 minutes sounds amazing to me...I hate to think what my first time would be.

What a suprise to see Kelly in your photo. She is my neighbor, and we played volleyball together a couple of years ago. She is so fun.

Kristen said...

Wow! That is so awesome. I get winded walking up the driveway now. You Rock!

Tiffany Fairbanks said...

YOU SO ROCK!!!! Yet another thing about you that is amazing!!

Ashley Bogard said...

You are a power woman! I meant to ask you how it went, but forgot. That is my goal for next spring to run a 5k. Now you have inspired me to. Thanks for coming by it was so fun to visit!

The Mecham Family said...

Great job!!! I'm running in Mapleton's 5K on the 24th...I usually pull a pretty good time, but this year I'm thinking of running with my brother, but I'm scared cause he RUNS, not JOGS! But I want to push myself and see just how fast I could really do it!...We'll see....